Ham and Chicken Gumbo
I've always enjoyed spending time in the kitchen and worked as a home economist for a utility company in the 1940's. With two kinds of meat, this gumbo makes a hearty supper.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon just until crisp. Add onion and cook,
- stirring constantly, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add
- garlic, ham and chicken; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in okra, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and
- hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.