- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in butter
- until tender. Stir in ham, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili
- powder, mustard, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and
- salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, egg and oil; stir in corn.
- Add to cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- Transfer the hot bean mixture to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Drop corn bread batter by spoonful over the top. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and a
- toothpick inserted near the center of topping comes out clean.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 435 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,509 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 19 g protein.