This tasty main dish, pairing ham and pork, is a wonderful way to use up leftover Easter ham. Covered with a savory brown sugar sauce, these ham balls are hard to resist. Ellen Benninger, Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup crushed bite-sized Shredded Wheat
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and cereal; crumble ham and
- pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. balls;
- place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over
- medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Pour
- over ham balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or
- until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 461 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 801 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 24 g protein.