Ham 'n' Swiss Monte Cristo
"My husband works shifts, so sometimes he's eating breakfast at dinnertime," writes Dawn Davidson of Thornton, Ontario. "This sandwich prepared like French toast, is quick to make."
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) deli ham
- 1 slice (1 ounce) Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread, then layer with
- ham and cheese; top with remaining bread.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper,
- water and egg until smooth. Dip sandwich on both sides in egg
- mixture. Cook in a skillet coated with cooking spray until browned,
- about 2 minutes on each side. Yield: 1 serving.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 319 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 1,153 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.