Ham 'n' Egg Casserole
I LIKE to prepare this when I have leftovers of ham and day-old bread on hand. It's a delicious dish for brunch.
Besides being so tasty, it's prepared the night before, which allows me more time to complete other dishes for the meal.
This dish still tastes good hours after being baked, so it's also a favorite to take along for potluck gatherings.
-Elizabeth Hesse, Springville, New York
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound process American cheese, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Remove
- green pepper, reserving drippings. Combine the green pepper, bread
- and ham; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Add cheese to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until cheese
- melts. Pour over bread mixture. Whisk the eggs, milk and mustard;
- pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let rest for 5 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 287 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.