Ham, Red beans and Rice
Adding ham to the classic dish of red beans and rice was an experiment which turned out wonderful. The spices are great!Vanita Davis, Camden, Arkansas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) spicy stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In large saucepan, combine all ingredients except rice. Bring to a
- boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 118 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 947 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.