Pumpkin and ghost cookie cutters make it a snap to shape these cute little cakes. A simple icing gives the sweet treats their spook-tacular look. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
18 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 9 tablespoons milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup, divided
- Orange and black paste or gel food coloring
- Grease two 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans; line with parchment paper and
- set aside. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour
- into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Using parchment
- paper, remove cakes from pans and invert onto wire racks; carefully
- peel off parchment paper. Cool completely.
- Cut one cake into pumpkin shapes and the second cake into ghost
- shapes using 3-in. cookie cutters dipped in confectioners' sugar.
- Carefully arrange individual cakes on wire racks over waxed paper.
- For icing, in each of two large bowls, combine 4 cups confectioners'
- sugar, 4 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons corn syrup until smooth.
- Tint icing in one bowl orange. Place orange icing in a heavy-duty
- resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe
- over top of pumpkin shapes, allowing icing to drape over cake sides.
- Repeat with white icing and ghost cakes. Let stand for 30 minutes or
- until icing is set and dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining confectioners' sugar, milk and