Ground Turkey and Hominy
"Hominy is a real favorite of mine, so when I saw this fast-to-fix recipe, I had to try it," notes Esther Hoff-Sherrow of Denver, Colorado. "With its flavorful combination of spices, it makes a warming meal on a cool night."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion in oil over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; heat through. Add hominy and
- heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground turkey and without salt) equals 287 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 989 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein.