- Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for
- 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Halve and seed
- peppers; set aside.
- Lightly coat eggplant on both sides with cooking spray; sprinkle with
- salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on
- each side or until tender.
- Top each eggplant slice with a pepper half; sprinkle with mozzarella
- cheese. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Spread each roll with 1 tablespoon reserved pesto; top each with an
- eggplant stack. Replace roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.