Grilled Vegetable Cheese Bread
“Here in the Deep South, tomatoes are really delicious on the Fourth of July,” jots field editor Sundra Hauck from Bogalusa, Louisiana. “They’re super on this bread, which is good any time you fire up the grill.”
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Brush cut sides of bread with oil. Layer with tomatoes and zucchini;
- sprinkle with cheddar cheese, pimientos, olives and Creole
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Place bread on grill rack. Grill,
- covered, over indirect medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until
- zucchini is crisp-tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; grill 2-4
- minutes longer or until melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 312 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon