Grilled Sweet Onions
“These onions are so delicious, we prepare them all year long—on the grill in summer, or in an oven preheated to 350° for the same amount of time in winter. A small salad, a slice of bread…and you've got a great light meal.” This recipe from Mary Bilke of Eagle River, Wisconsin, is sure to become a favorite!
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Grill: 35 min.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons white wine or beef broth, optional
- With a sharp knife, carefully remove a 1-in. core from the center of
- each onion. Cut each onion into four wedges to within 1/2 in. of
- root end.
- Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12
- in. square). Place bouillon in the centers of onions; top with
- butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Drizzle with wine if desired. Fold
- foil around onions and seal tightly.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill onions, covered, over indirect
- medium heat for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully
- to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 onion (calculated without wine or broth) equals 172 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,099 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.