Grilled Sub Sandwich
After a long hard day at band camp, my daughter comes home with a huge appetite. This sandwich not only satisfies my hungry marcher; it is also fast and easy to prepare.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli pastrami
- 1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Additional olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss green pepper and onion with oil. Place on a
- double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil
- around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium-hot
- heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- Cut loaf in half horizontally; remove bread from top half, leaving a
- 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush
- cut sides of loaf with salad dressing; place cut side down on grill.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden