Grilled Pizza Bread
These fun French bread pizzas from Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana are great picnic fare for both kids and adults. Tasty on the grill, they can just as easily be baked in the oven.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Sliced pepperoni, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, salt and
- oregano; simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Spread meat mixture
- on cut side of bread; sprinkle with cheese, olives and pepperoni if
- Loosely wrap bread individually in pieces of heavy-duty foil (about
- 24 in. x 18 in.); seal. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20
- minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 405 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,043 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.