Grilled Greek Crostini Topping
“I got the idea for this quick and easy appetizer while on a vacation in Greece. It’s nice for summer get-togethers.” —Stephanie Proebsting, Barrington, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large vine-ripe tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 package (8 ounces) feta cheese, halved lengthwise
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Ground pepper
- Sliced French bread baguette, toasted
- Arrange a third of the tomato slices in a single layer on a double
- thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Place half of
- the cheese over tomatoes; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon oregano and
- drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with a dash of pepper. Repeat
- Top with remaining tomato slices. Drizzle with remaining oil and
- sprinkle with remaining oregano and a dash of pepper. Fold foil
- around mixture and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until heated
- through. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Transfer to a
- serving platter; serve with toasted baguette. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: about 1 ounce (calculated without baguette) equals 95 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.