Grilled Cheese & Pepper Sandwiches
This is a tasty and wholesome sandwich to make for one or two. It’s a nice twist on a grilled cheese, very tasty and filling and especially good with rye bread. —Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 slices rye bread with caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 teaspoon butter; set
- aside. In a small skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until
- tender. Spoon onto two buttered bread slices; top with cheese and
- remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or
- until golden brown.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 577 calories, 40 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 735 mg sodium,