Green Tomatoes Parmesan
Meet the Cook: If you follow the recipe directions, you should end up with firm tomatoes. It's been a tried-and-true method for me.
I started cooking as a teenager. My first meal was spaghetti, and it was so salty we couldn't eat it! My husband and I are retired. We have two grown children and three grandchildren.
-Clara Mifflin, Creal Springs, Illinois
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Lightly sprinkle tomatoes with salt; drain on paper towels for 30-60
- minutes. Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, Parmesan, flour, garlic salt,
- oregano and pepper in a shallow plate. Dip each tomato slice into
- egg, then into cornmeal mixture.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Fry tomatoes, a few
- at a time, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on a
- paper towel-lined wire rack. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 154 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.