MY MOTHER-IN-LAW always served green rice with her chicken casserole.
She was a great cook, and the local newspaper featured her several times as "cook of the week".
This creation of hers is one of our family's favorites. I'm thrilled to share it with Reminisce readers.
-Nancy Beatty, Springfield, Illinois
2-3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. stir in the broth,
- rice, green pepper, parsley and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from
- the heat; pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Top with cheese if
- desired; bake 3 minutes longer or until melted. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 235 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.