Green Chili Stew
"This stew is much heartier than mostand very tasty too," Jacqueline Thompson Graves reports from Lawrenceville, Georgia. "Men especially enjoy the zippy broth and the generous amounts of tender beef. They frequently requests second helpings."
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onions in oil; drain. Transfer to
- a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, chilies, water, bouillon, garlic, sugar,
- salt if desired and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low
- for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium bouillon and without salt and cheese) equals 259 calories, 363 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 25 gm protein,