Green Beans with Tomatoes
This savory side dish goes well with a variety of entrees. The crisp-tender beans are accented with chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic and allspice.
Clara Coulston of Washington Court House, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring the broth, onion and garlic to a
- boil. Add beans; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, seasoned salt, allspice and pepper;
- cook 2-3 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Serve with a
- slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 61 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.