Green Beans with Almonds
A touch of lemon juice gives a fresh taste to this simple side dish from Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. "Slivered almonds look so pretty with the French-style green beans, and they add a tasty crunch, too," she notes.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender;
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over low heat, toast almonds in butter.
- Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and salt. Drain beans. Add
- almond mixture and toss to coat.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 107 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.