We have no idea where this recipe originated, but this unique salad is always well received. It's a popular choice with a sandwich for our luncheon combinations and is also served as a dinner side dish. Many people prefer it to a tossed salad.Watts Bar Resort, Joyce Probst, Watts Bar Dam, Tennessee
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 jars (16 ounces each) grapefruit sections
- 1 cup water
- 8 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Drain grapefruit, reserving 6 cups juice; set fruit and 4 cups of
- juice aside. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups juice, water and gelatin;
- let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is
- dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add sugar and salt; stir until
- dissolved. Add lemon juice and reserved grapefruit and juice. Pour
- into two 13-in. x 9-in. pans. Cover and refrigerate until set.
- Yield: 30 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 63 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.