You'll easily impress guests with this dessert. It takes some time to prepare, but the rave reviews I receive make it all worth it.
Peg Atzen, Hackensack, Minnesota
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Halve grapefruit and section; remove membranes. Return grapefruit
- sections to grapefruit halves. Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon rum extract over
- each. Top with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream; Place on an
- ungreased foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tartar
- on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Mound 1/2 cup on each grapefruit half; spread
- meringue to edges to seal. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until
- meringue is browned. Top each with a cherry. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 152 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium,