- Spread into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for
- 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine flour and milk in a saucepan until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Set aside, uncovered,
- at room temperature for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter,
- sugar and vanilla. Add salt and cooked flour mixture; beat until
- smooth. If you wish to "write" on the cake with frosting, reserve
- 1/4 cup and tint with red food coloring; set aside. Use remaining
- frosting to frost between layers and on top and sides of cake. If
- desired, use the red frosting and a round decorator's tip to add
- "Happy Birthday" on top. Carefully press walnuts around sides. Store
- in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 561 calories, 34 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.