"My grandpa, a widower, raised his three sons on his own and did all the cooking and lots of baking," explains Karen Baker of Dover, Ohio. "I can still picture him making these tasty old-fashioned cookies."
60 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- In several large bowls, cream butter and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in the eggs, water and vanilla. Combine the remaining
- ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into three rolls; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours or
- Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 cookies equals 167 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.