Grandma's Tomato Soup
THIS RECIPE is my grandmother's. Originally Gram even made the tomato juice in it from scratch!
Every time I return to Massachusetts for a visit home, Gram has this soup simmering on the stove. She's always loved to cook, and at age 95, she still enjoys making tomato soup and other favorite dishes.
-Gerri Sysun, Narragansett, Rhode Island
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cooked wide egg noodles
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour; stir to form
- a smooth paste. Gradually add tomato juice and water, stirring
- constantly; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Add sugar and salt. Stir in egg noodles and heat through.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 259 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 1,144 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.