Golden Squash Pie
Whether you take this yummy pie to a party or potluck, be prepare to share the recipe. An alternative to pumpkin pie, it bakes up high and flavorful.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients; add to the squash mixture and mix until
- smooth. Pour into pastry shells. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 minutes longer
- or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a
- wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 295 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.