Golden Secret Meat Loaf
The "secret" in this meat loaf is cheeseone of our state's claim to fame! This recipe was given to me by a very good college friend.Marilyn Leum, Westby, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, bread crumbs, onion,
- nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Fold in cheese.
- Pat into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours
- or until no pink remains. Drain. Let stand a few minutes before
- slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 226 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.