Golden Peach Pie
Brighten up a dark winter day with this sunshiny peach pie! The mouthwatering dessert from Margaret Hanson-Maddox of Montpelier, Indiana is yummy with a dollop of whipped cream. "This was one of my father's favorites."Margaret Riley, Tallahassee, Florida
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Drain peaches, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine the
- sugar, flour, lemon juice, orange peel, salt and reserved juice
- until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- Add the butter and almond extract; stir until butter is melted. Stir
- in peaches. Cool slightly. Transfer to crust. Roll out remaining
- pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute
- edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden
- brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.