- another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom;
- open roast and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in.
- thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread the pears, arugula, cheese and herbs over meat to within 1 in.
- of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie
- the roast at 1-1/2-inch intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the oil, salt and
- pepper; rub over roast. Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until
- meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should
- read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for
- 15 minutes before slicing.
- In a small saucepan, saute shallots in butter until tender. Add
- sherry; cook over low heat for 4 minutes. Add broth and tarragon.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the
- pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Serve with beef. Yield: 8 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Nutrition Facts: 4 ounces cooked beef with 4-1/2 teaspoons sauce equals 392 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.