Go Nuts! Coconut Caramels
"I got this recipe from a cooking show on TV, but made some adjustments to suit our tastes. We make this candy every Easter, and many more times per year."
- Deanna Polito-Laughinghouse, Raleigh, North Carolina
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 24 caramels
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- Line an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with foil and grease the foil with
- butter; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels, 3/4 cup coconut,
- baking chips and peanuts. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 1
- minute; stir. Cook, uncovered, 30-60 seconds longer or until
- caramels are melted; stir to combine. Press into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Cool.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in.
- squares. Yield: about 3/4 pound.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 70 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.