My grandmother used this recipe to get us little vegetable haters to eat our beets! Her special dish made beets taste nearly as good as candy. With the tart-sweet scent of Glazed Beets in the air, it never took us long to jump down from the climbing tree out back when we were called to dinner.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) sliced or diced beets
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Drain beets, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine the
- sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in beet juice and vinegar; cook and
- stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir
- 2 minutes more. Add beets and butter; heat through. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 117 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.