Gingered Yellow Pepper 'n' Broccoli
This side dish from our Test Kitchen will work well with any mild-flavored main course. The pretty, colorful side is lightly touched with ginger and orange peel, making it crisp and refreshing.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the broccoli and water. Cover and
- microwave on high for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet,
- saute yellow pepper in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir broccoli; microwave 1 minute longer or until tender. Add the
- ginger, orange peel, salt and pepper to yellow pepper. Drain
- broccoli; add to pepper mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 54 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.