Gingered Orange Carrots
This attractive side dish looks lovely served alongside poultry, pork or beef. Every time my guests taste the deliciously spiced carrots, they ask for the recipe. —Laurie Hicks, Troy, Montana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the carrots, onions and ginger in butter
- for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add the orange juice, jelly and salt. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes
- or until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve
- with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 125 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.