Gingered Butternut Squash
I found this recipe in a magazine years ago and thought it was the best squash dish I’d ever tasted. When I serve it to guests, they always agree. –Fran Swartzentruber of Sebring, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, beat squash with butter and syrup. Beat in the
- ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add cream until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 180 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.