My grandmother first made this gingerbread over 100 years ago. It was inexpensive, and the ingredients were always on hand. I remember that the kitchen smelled like heaven when Grandmother baked her gingerbread. The only thing better was when she took it out of the oven and served it with a generous topping of fresh whipped cream!
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream
- Combine egg, sugar, molasses, butter and water; mix well. In a large
- bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, ginger and salt; add
- molasses mixture. Beat until well mixed. Pour into a greased 8-in.
- square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake
- tests done. Serve warm with whipped cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 232 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.