Gingerbread with Compote
Warm fruit and spices make an easy and festive way to dress up boxed gingerbread mix for the holidays!
Maria Regakis - Somerville, MA
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 2 cans (one 20 ounces, one 8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped topping
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions. Cool
- completely on a wire rack; cut into squares.
- In a small saucepan, combine the pineapple, cranberries, brown sugar,
- cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until cranberries pop, stirring
- frequently. Cool slightly. Serve with gingerbread. Garnish with
- whipped topping. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece with 1/4 cup compote (calculated without whipped topping) equals 352 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.