Ginger Shortbread Cookies
The traditional holiday flavor of gingerbread meets the buttery goodness of shortbread in this irresistible cookie. Pretty flecks of candied ginger make the treats a pretty addition to any cookie platter.
60 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light
- and fluffy. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and
- salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts
- and crystallized ginger.
- Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate
- for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in.
- apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 52 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.