Ginger Pear Pie
This recipe comes from my grandmother, who has lots of pear trees on her land. A gingersnap crust complements the pleasant taste of pears.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 9 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled pears (about 5 medium)
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty
- foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes
- longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the gingersnap crumbs, sugars, flour, salt
- and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Place half the pear
- slices in crust. Top with half the crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire
- rack. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent
- overbrowning if necessary. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 357 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium,