German-Style Mashed Potatoes
Comforting and filling, these tangy potatoes will warm up any meal, especially one with a German flair. They’re a fitting accompaniment to sausages like bratwurst. —Alena Horn, Austin, Texas
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add apples; cook
- 10 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain,
- reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions
- until lightly browned.
- Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar and salt; mash
- slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with onions and bacon.
- Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein.