German-Style Green Beans
GRANDMOTHER often prepared her fresh green beans this way, and we much preferred them to plain buttered beans.
This recipe goes back to before the 1920s and was a favorite dish of our family when I was growing up.
-Lois Gelzer, Standish, Maine
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set
- aside. Saute onion in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted
- spoon. Drain beans; return to pan. Add onion, 1 tablespoon
- drippings, salt and pepper; heat through. Crumble the bacon; add to
- the beans and toss. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 166 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.