German Spice Cookies
These chewy spice cookies are great with coffee and taste even better the next day. The recipe has been a family favorite for more than 40 years.
21 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and
- pepper. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to
- the egg mixture. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until surface cracks.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe contains no butter or shortening.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.