German Sauerbraten Stew
Our kids typically don't care for cabbage, but they can't get enough of this dish. I often put this stew on the stove before doing chores so we can come inside to a hearty meal.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 16 cookies)
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown pork in oil. Add the next 10
- ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in gingersnap
- crumbs; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until stew is thickened
- and pork is tender. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 215 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as