German Red Cabbage
Sunday afternoons were frequently a time for family gatherings. While the uncles played cards, the aunts prepared wonderful German treats such as this red cabbage. Oftentimes there wasn't enough room for everyone at the dining table, so the grown-ups and babies ate first. My cousins and I would hang around waiting for our turn, hoping there'd be plenty of food left.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 unpeeled apple, sliced
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Coat the inside of a large Dutch oven with cooking spray. Saute
- onion and apple until tender. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover
- and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Serve hot or cold. Yield: 10
If Cooking for Two: Freeze cabbage in serving-size portions.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with artificial sweetener and no added salt) equals 1-1/2 vegetables; also, 43 calories, 1 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, less than 1 gm fat.