German Pork Chops
I was a high school student when I received this recipe from my friend’s mom, who is German. She often made these chops for us after church on Sunday. Forty years later, I still love them.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork chops in butter
- on both sides. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the sauerkraut, applesauce, onion, garlic, brown
- sugar, caraway seeds and cinnamon. Spoon over chops.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until meat juices run
- clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 pork chop with 1/2 cup sauerkraut mixture equals 451 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as