This recipe has been handed down through generations of German families in northern Idaho. Everyone around here makes it. It's good served either warm or cold.
14-18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 to 4 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and onions. In a saucepan, combine
- the sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt; bring to a boil. Add oil;
- return to boiling and cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage;
- toss gently. Chill. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 126 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.