German Baked Beans
Canned baked beans never tasted so good! Mary Nieburger of Laughlin, Nevada dresses them up in style with sauerkraut, apple sauce and brown sugar. "These beans are always requested for the monthly dinners at our senior center," she says.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking
- dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 185 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.