This dish comes in handy for luncheons in summer since it's so colorful and refreshing. I prepare it a day ahead using garden vegetables. The flavor gets even better as it sits in the refrigerator overnight.
-Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced seeded cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and
- refrigerate for 4 hours or until chilled. Stir in oil just before
- serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium tomato juice and without salt) equals 96 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.