Garlic Tomato Bruschetta
This recipe is a crispy complement to any Italian entree. I started with my grandmother's recipe and just added fresh tomatoes.Jean Franzoni, Rutland, Vermont
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- In a large bowl, combine oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add
- tomatoes and toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese. Refrigerate at least
- 1 hour.
- Bring to room temperature before serving. Cut bread into 24 slices;
- toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2 pieces) equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.