Garlic Orzo Pilaf
This is an easy, go-to side dish that has lots of flavor. I always have the ingredients on hand and I find it's a easier than a prepackaged rice side dish because the orzo cooks so quickly.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute garlic and pepper flakes in oil for 1
- minute. Add orzo; saute for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with
- cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without cheese) equals 256 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.