Garlic-Onion Appetizer Rounds
I think this recipe is the perfect way to showcase our famous, local Maui sweet onions. They thrive in our balmy tropical climate and rich, volcanic soils. —Kristine Snyder, Kihei, Hawaii
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in butter until
- golden brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unfold puff pastry. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over
- pastry. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle
- with cheeses and basil; roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 16
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for
- 12-14 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm. Yield:
- 16 appetizers.
Nutrition Facts: 1 appetizer equals 114 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium,